|San Lorenzo History|
San Lorenzo, an unincorporated town in Alameda County in the San Francisco-Oakland metro area, is bordered by the unincorporated town of Castro Valley and
San Lorenzo, an unincorporated town in Alameda County in the San Francisco-Oakland metro area, is bordered by the unincorporated town of Castro Valley and the cities of Hayward and San Leandro.
The community also includes the San Lorenzo Village and sections of Ashland and Cherryland. It is a family oriented community whose rich history is scattered throughout. San Lorenzo is supported by diverse business districts that include small independently owned businesses as well as large national chains. The area is conveniently located near major freeways, public transportation, shopping malls and community recreation areas.
DEMOGRAPHICS – 2000 Census Bureau 2000
Median house price ($)233,300
Median household income $66,170
63.32% White, 2.81% Black or African American, 0.89% Native American, 15.48% Asian, 0.48% Pacific Islander, 10,.82% from other races, and 6.21% from two or more races, 24.65% of the
Population was Hispanic or Latino of any race.
San Lorenzo has been a desirable place to live since 1847, when squatters built their cabins on the north side of San Lorenzo Creek, then part of two Mexican ranchos. Eventually, the settlement known as Squatterville grew into the town at the “Four Corners”, now the intersection of Hesperian and Lewelling Boulevards. Renamed as San Lorenzo in 1854, it had very rich farmland producing fruits and vegetables and shipping the area’s products from Roberts Landing. It was a resort town with two hotels, the Village Hall and the San Lorenzo Grove, an eight acre recreation area with a Pavilion.
Old San Lorenzo was a wealthy community with large ranches and mansions. Today, the remaining mansions are Captain Roberts House on Lewelling Boulevard, the McConaghy House on Hesperian Boulevard, the Meek Estate on Hampton Road, the Burr House on Grove Way and the Heidi farmhouse on Grant Avenue.
The great shipyard boom during World War II brought many new families to one of the first
self-contained communities of tract homes in the nation. Developed by David D. Bohannon in 1944, the San Lorenzo Village was a planned community with parcels designated for schools, churches and a retail center with a Homes Association to govern the development. Bohannon used the “California method” to build the first group of homes. San Lorenzo Village helped swell the population of this unincorporated area striving to hold its own between the urban encroachment of San Leandro and Hayward.
Images of American San Lorenzo
By Doris Marciel Published by Arcadia
41st Annual Castro Valley/ Eden Area Fall Festival For more information please visit:http://www.edenareachamber.com/fall-festival ... read more »